Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Eyes on the Skies


Mr. Elf and Tom Turkey are ready to travel "over the river mountain, and through the woods, to grandmother's sister's house we go!" But the weather is making this one a nail-biter. You just never know around here...one or two degrees up or down the temperature gauge can mean the difference between a soaking rain or a blizzard. We were under an ice storm warning last night, and completely dodged that bullet. Hopefully the same will hold true tonight. Currently, the forecast for tomorrow morning looks like this:


Tom Turkey makes an appearance every year on the Thanksgiving table, so he's used to traveling. This trip will be an adventure for Mr. Elf, however. He has spent the last 20 or so years living behind the olive oil and protein powder up in the cupboard. My mom made the Mr. Elf cookie jar when I was a child. It's one of those things I don't actually use anymore, but can't bring myself to throw away.

My Book Club friends are of the opinion that he's a creepy looking elf. In his defense, he looks quite jolly and benign sitting out on the counter filled with chocolate chip cookies. But lurking behind the olive oil, in the shadows... hmmm...maybe. And as my niece pointed out, he does look a bit creepy hiding behind the scarf. We may have ourselves a character from a future Stephen King novel here.


Either way, he's not living up to his full potential here, so he's headed to Georgia to live at my sister's house for awhile. If the weather holds out and we can get there. Fingers crossed!


Check out the great dinner I made tonight, inspired by Sam at My Carolina Kitchen. The Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash salad was every bit as good as I imagined it would be when I read her post last week. I added a Maryland Crab Cake and mmm, mmm good - thanks for sharing the recipe, Sam!

The rain on the skylight sounds like sleet. Perhaps I should get up off the sofa and check it out. Lucy is not worried. Lucy is hardly ever worried. She has been laying next to me as I type, snoring little kitty snores. Very cute. Stay warm everyone, and if you're traveling for the holiday - be safe!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda!


    My name is Tammy. I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. I just wasn't sure how else to reach you. I sincerely apologize if this comes across as spam, that is not the intent. With Christmas just around the corner, I thought you might be interested in our latest infographic "Are You A Doggie for Christmas Kind of Mom?". You can view it at Flickr.com: http://www.flickr.com/photos/106131018@N08/11241972855/ (Preview) . FYI (in case you're not familiar) Flickr.com is owned by Yahoo!. It's a very safe site and won't hurt your computer. To download the infographic right click on it and Flickr will show you some options.

    If you like this infographic and want to share it with your readers, please feel free to do so. The only thing that we ask in return is that you link back to TheUncommonDog dot com in some way from your post.

    As a way of showing our appreciation to those who choose to share the infographic, I'd be happy to spread the word about the blog post by linking to it from our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages. Just let me know that you posted it and send me the link.

    If you'd like to be removed from our contact list, please let me know.

    Happy Holidays!
    Tammy Sexton
    Marketing Coordinator
    Tammy at TheUncommonDog dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the turkey!!!!!! Keep warm! Our temps are in the low 20s.. brrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! My best wishes for the New Year!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I'm not getting notifications when you put up a new post! Ugh! I didn't' see this one until now. What a lovely post and so fun to read. I have to agree with your niece. The elf is giving me the creeps. lol I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brenda,
    Thank you for the New Year's best whishes!
    Wishing you and yours a Wonderful New Year too. :)

    ReplyDelete