Tuesday, April 1, 2014

To Eat, Or Not To Eat...

Anyone with a dog knows that food dropped onto the floor doesn't last long. If it weren't for dog hair, we probably wouldn't need a vaccum. However, the enthusiasm with which a dropped food item is greeted does depend to an extent upon the breed. Katie, who is a Lab/Border Collie mix, consumes steak leavings and celery leaves with equal fervor. German Shepherds tend to be more discerning.

While enjoying a bowl of shredded wheat and blueberries at my desk recently, I dropped a blueberry. Lady, in close proximity to the wayward blueberry, realized right away that she had dibs because Katie was asleep and unaware. This was an exciting moment.

 

Until Lady remembered: she doesn't like blueberries. Nevertheless, she felt obligated to eat it before Katie woke up. I knew this was going to be entertaining, so was glad to have my iPhone handy. 

Gaaaah!

With the failed taste test, Lady found herself in a serious dilemma. The blueberry clearly tasted hideous. But would it be better to eat a hideous blue fruit, now slimy and squished, than to let Katie get it? Lady's forehead crinkled with the effort of trying to work this out. 


She decided to rest for a moment and think about it.


After some brief silent reflection, Lady raised herself and again advanced on the blueberry, new doggie determination in evidence. 

I can do this! I can eat this blueberry!

Bleccch... No!! I can't! I just can't do it!! 

All of this angst and writhing about on the floor inevitably woke Katie, and she raised her head in curiosity. Despite being extremely hearing (and I suspect sight) challenged in her old age, she detected a situation worthy of further investigation.

Hey, what's this?!

Mmmm...good!

Did you see that? Katie ate my blueberry. It was mine!

15 comments:

  1. Oh man that's hilarious! A similar situation plays out frequently at my house. Murdoch eats everything - I mean EVERYTHING - while Molly tries and tries but there are just some things she can not get past chewing a bit, screwing up her nose, and spitting out (like anything that is not meat or dairy related), much to Murdoch's delight. He is always hovering nearby to pounce once it is clear Molly won't eat that carrot or piece of celery.

    I just love the photo's tracking the blueberry drama. Poor Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, this is a little story all by itself, have you ever though of writing a book? I loved the way the tale unfolded, sub-titles perfect too. Waiting for the next chapter in their lives. Cheers, Jean. p.s. photos just super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that is hilarious
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL What a delightful photo essay and your--their--comments were so much fun! My Corgis have no discernment whatsoever on edibles…to them, everything is edible and gets scarfed immediately. Our new addition--Widget--is learning quickly, by watching the Corgis' examples, to eat all veggies and fruits offered. :-) He recently had a similar blueberry experience to Lady's…but, in the end, as he saw Phoenix venturing over, he swallowed the blueberry. ;-) Thanks for the blog treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seen to recall an incident when we tried to give her an apple slice... Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just funny, Brenda! Lol!
    Love the serie of photos.
    Lady and Katie are lovely as always.
    Katie remember me so much my dear Flora...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!! What a dilemma Lady was in! She reminds me of my Harley - so cautious and timid that he would miss out on such an opportunity as well. You captured the whole scene perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss your tales/tails! LOL Hope all is well with you and the critters…!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Brenda!
    How are you?
    I miss your so beautiful posts and photos.
    I hope you update your blog!
    Sending many hugs!
    Sonia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Brenda!
    I sent an e-mail to you July 5, but I don't know if you got it.
    Please,let me know if you got my e-mail. Thank you!
    Lots of hugs,
    Sonia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope wooos are well mates.

    Nuk & Family

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a funny post. We guess you should not of waited that long to have the blueberry. You snooze you lose. Thanks for the wonderful share. Have a great weekend.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete