Monday, February 21, 2011

Bedtime Drama

Time for bed, and all is cozy, calm, and good with the world... right?


WRONG!!!


Lucky is in the wrong bed. Lady prefers the round bed, and Lucky knows it. Look again at the top photo and notice the put upon expression on Lady's face, and the sheepish look on Lucky's. In Lady's opinion, this sleeping arrangement is wrong, wrong, wrong.

This doesn't happen every  night; most of the time Lucky sticks with the program and uses the square bed. When it does happen though, it just amuses me to no end. I don't know what could possibly be so wrong with the square bed. It's actually three beds piled on top of each other to make it extra soft and cushy. And if you look closely, you'll see that I even prop the back of it against the dresser, in case the issue is having something soft to lean against. But no go - it's still the "yucky" bed.

If Lucky is already in the round bed when Lady comes to bed, she will stand in the doorway and stare at him, and he will try to pretend he doesn't notice her. It's too bad I don't have a video clip of this, because then you could hear her dramatic sigh of resignation as she drops into the "wrong" bed.

It can play out in different ways, all of which involve lots of quiet drama. On this particular night, Lady laid there unhappily for awhile. Then she stood up and walked to the other side of the bedroom, stopped, and stared at me. I feigned ignorance, my head ducked into the book I'm reading, Cutting for Stone. When she realized I was not going to intervene on her behalf, she returned to the dog beds, but just stood there miserably. Finally Lucky couldn't take it anymore, got up and gave her the bed she wanted.





What a dog. I can't figure out why he gives her everything she wants, but he does. Interestingly, in groups of dogs out in the community, Lucky tends to be the more dominant of the two, and Lady more submissive. But at home, it's all about what Lady wants.

NOW things are right.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my that's so cute! We'll just never know what makes some things more valuable than others. But one thing's for sure, it all makes perfect sense to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our house we call that behavior 'dog politics.'

    I've been catching up on your earlier posts -- the first daffodil, the beautiful sky, and the passage of time as seen on Lucky's face. I'm shocked too when I see how old everyone in our house is getting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can see it now! And yes, at your house, my home away from home (what was the term we used for that) Luckster is the pleaser! He loves to please us all including Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it all got sorted out - bless them xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love k9 dynamics! So cool how you captured these in photo as well; great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two of them are so sweet together. Lucky sure is nice to let Lady have her way!

    I have a great blog I'd love for you to check out, www.PetBlogsUnited.com. It's a wonderful place for pet bloggers to find each other.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Dog politics" - LOL!!!!!! That's hilarious! Thanks, I have a new term for all this carrying on now! And Sam, I think it was RAHAHAA... although I couldn't tell you now exactly how we came up with that acronym. The sign is still in your room though - LOL!

    Darla, I'd watched a going-to-bed episode of high drama last week and it just cracked me up. Even though I pretended very hard not to be noticing. That was when I decided I'd put the camera on my bedside table so I could capture it next time they did it. Well, they must have known. They obliged by doing the "you're in my bed!" thing the very next night. And Lucky doesn't usually come over and gaze at me pitifully, so that was icing on the cake. :)

    Deborah, Winnie, Benny, Lily, and Oskar - thanks for stopping by. Oskar, thanks, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute blog and hilarious post! I love the title of your blog too. I am following you from The Doggy Blogger. Hope to see you on my site. :-)

    ReplyDelete