Sunday, February 3, 2013

Snowy Sunday



Forty years later, I still remember like it was yesterday. Sleepy and hopeful, scarcely daring to breathe as I would raise on my knees to peek out the blinds, only to see...no snow. Time, and time, and time again this moment of delirious hope was shattered by the crushing disappointment of yet another false alarm. The dark pavement and green grass would stare back at me, boring and ordinary, saying "Hurry up. Get ready for school." For years, I harbored the deepest of resentments against Atlanta meteorologists. I also fervently believed (and still do) that some sort of invisible bubble exists over the city, protecting it from every winter weather system crossing the area. Is it any wonder I ended up in Duluth Minnesota for grad school?

Western North Carolina is a happy medium. You don't have to deal with -20 degree mornings, yet there's enough cold weather to justify hot cocoa and mittens. This morning when I let the dogs out, I was surprised by a white landscape swirling with tiny snowflakes. The snow thrilled me and the dogs both. They came racing back into the house, frisky and excited and shaking the snow from their coats. After morning treats for dogs and cat, I started some coffee brewing and walked around opening all the curtains so I could watch the snow.



We've  yet to have a decent snow this  year. And last year there was no winter at all. So this morning's little snowfall was a welcome sight. It's been bitterly cold this week, Friday's wind chill around 10 degrees all day. We've all been staying warm as best we can...




The other interesting thing about living in this part of the country is that you can take photos of snow, icy streams, and daffodils all in the same weekend!





Stay warm ya'll!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! "They came racing back into the house, frisky and excited and shaking the snow from their coats." Oh, how I miss that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! We have had so little snow here in Denver this year, last week during our first snowstorm in over a month I came home as the light was fading to find my husband with the blinds open, watching the snow fall. He misses it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your ice photos!
    We really have had no real snow here in NY this winter so was happy to
    share yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house looks lovely, Brenda! Loved all photos too.
    Hope you have a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, another WONDERFUL post! But gees, you really are dead on about that "anti-winter weather" bubble over Atl. It's been such a warm winter here...

    ReplyDelete